Friday, May 20, 2011

HEB Survival--Fruit!

My latest favorite HEB survival technique helps me get both girls in the cart (Gianna, 4, isn't into the cart lately, but being very pregnant means an easier trip on mom if she is in the cart!) and keeps them happy for quite a while. Some of you may know this, but in the produce section there is a little red wagon with apples, bananas, and oranges in it. There is a box labeled $0.25...drop in a quarter per child, they pick out their fruit, and everyone is happy. Oh, and my requirement is that they have to ride IN the cart to eat their fruit :o)

Hope that helps someone!
Emily Ecklund

3 comments:

  1. I do a similar thing with my three, though not as healthy. In the bakery section at Wooded Acres (and maybe elsewhere) the kids get a free cookie, you have to ask though. My kids have to sit in the cart to eat and it usually helps get me at least halfway through.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never let Julie (4) out of the buggy at any store. If i can't hold her hand, she's in the buggy or stroller. I think everyone is a child-molester or serial-killer! Anyways, they only break-downs I've ever had w/ Julie are in shoe stores....she runs around like a mad child (since im not holding her hand since im trying on shoes) and puts her foot in every shoe possible and scatters them everywhere. Its been 2 years since those 2 episodes,but shoes are her weakness! I don't shoe shop now unless my husband is with me....anyways, I just usually shop when I know both my girls are well-napped, not hungry and then I usually have a very enjoyable trip. We talk alot, and even sing while shopping:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Everything goes more smoothly in public with my kids if I discuss with them beforehand what behaviors I expect and do not expect. I ask them what they think I expect of them and then what behaviors might be unacceptable. Then I say: "Am I going to take you with me to the (store, park, Y) if you run off, demand things, fuss?" "But if you (obey, come when called...), I'll be glad to take you with me again. Got this from a speech teacher's handout to help autistic kids. It helps all my kids! Of course in a store, the younger kids sit in the cart, no options.

    ReplyDelete